A company built on stability, longevity and commitment.
Builders Insurance Group was founded by a group of people who were perfectly suited to create better insurance for builders: A group of Georgia homebuilders.
They were looking for a way to combat the growing costs and shrinking availability of Workers' Compensation insurance for the homebuilding community. Builders Insurance Group is the result of their efforts.
By approaching things in a different way—looking at things from the builder's perspective—the company got off to a great start. The new fund grew rapidly, writing $15 million in Workers' Compensation premiums in the company's first full year.
Just five years later, the company was recognized as one of the largest writers of Workers' Compensation insurance in Georgia. Later that year, Builders Insurance Group paid its first member dividend totaling nearly $1 million.
Since then, the company has declared 21 consecutive dividends to policyholders totaling $50.5 million. We have also acquired two additional insuring entities, American Builders Insurance Company (formerly known as Association Insurance Company - NAIC #11240 ) and National Builders Insurance Company (formerly known as Vinings Insurance Company - NAIC #16632). Together, these companies have played a pivotal role in our rapid expansion into new states and product lines.
From its simple beginnings as a provider of a single product in a single state, Builders Insurance Group has grown into a provider of diverse insurance products to the construction and non-construction industry throughout the Southeast.
Today, we provide more than 18,000 policyholders with their Workers' Compensation, General Liability, Builders Risk, Package and Umbrella insurance.
Builders Insurance Group Milestones
- The company began a year-long Loss Control webinar series conducted monthly aimed at educating our policyholders to develop safe work environments.
- Builders Insurance Group introduced Commercial Package Policy to Florida.
- A.M. Best Company, a worldwide insurance-rating and information agency, has revised the outlook to positive from stable and affirmed the financial strength rating of A- “Excellent” for all member companies of Builders Insurance Group.
- Builders Insurance (A Mutual Captive Company) distributed its 19th consecutive dividend payment to qualifying Georgia poliyholders, bringing the total amount of dividends paid to $48.5 million.
- The Company topped $201.8 million in policyholder surplus, marking the first time Builders Insurance Group has ever surpassed the $200 million mark.
- Builders Insurance Group introduced an updated Builders Risk product in Georgia. Enhancements included an improved user interface, more coverage options and significantly lower rates for qualified risks.
- Builders Insurance (A Mutual Captive Company) distributed its 18th consecutive dividend payment to qualifying Georgia policyholders, bringing the total amount of dividends paid to $47.5 million.
- Workers' Compensation program was successfully launched in Oklahoma.
- The company experienced solid growth in non-construction and trade contractor markets.
- Builders Insurance (A Mututal Captive Company) distributed its 17th consecutive dividend payment to qualifying Georiga policyholders, bringing the total amount of dividends paid to $47 million.
- General Liability, Package and Umbrella launched in new states, Oklahoma and Utah.
- Builders Insurance (A Mutual Captive Company) distributed its 16th consecutive dividend payment to qualifying Georgia policyholders, bringing the total amount of dividends paid to more than $45.8 million.
- Umbrella launched in Indiana, Tennessee and Virginia.
- General Liability launched for the first time in Kentucky.
- Commercial Package Policy introduced in Indiana, Kentucky and South Carolina
- New product Umbrella unveiled in Georgia first and then followed by Kentucky, Pennsylvania and South Carolina.
- Builders Insurance Group distributes 15th consecutive dividend of approximately $1.8 million, bringing the total dividends paid to more than $45 million.
- Builders Insurance Group declared its 15th consecutive Dividend payment to be paid in 2011 to qualified Georgia policyholders, bringing the total amount of Dividends paid to $45 million.
- General Liability introduced to new states, Indiana and Colorado.
- Workers’ Compensation program launched in Maryland.
- General Liability for Trade Contractors made available in Tennessee and Texas.
- New product Commercial Package Policy launched in Texas, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
- Agency Upload capabilities enabled for agents in all states in which we write WC and GL .
- Our 13th consecutive dividend is declared in Georgia, bringing total amount paid to $42.7 million.
- Workers' Compensation and General Liability is launched in Pennsylvania.
- Online Monthly Self Reporting is expanded from Georgia to Florida, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
- eQuotes system for agents is consolidated and enhanced.
- Builders LITE is launched in Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and Virginia, offering Workers' Compensation and General Liability to light commercial contractors.
- Workers' Compensation for professional roofers is introduced in all states.
- Online Monthly Self Reporting is launched in Georgia and Virginia.
- Builders Insurance Group introduces General Liability product to the Florida market.
- Builders Insurance Group launches Builders Risk in Georgia; a new line of insurance to provide comprehensive coverage from loss, damage or theft of property while under construction.
- Builders Insurance Group marks $1 billion in cumulative direct written premium since the company's inception in 1992.
- Builders Insurance Group introduces Workers' Compensation and General Liability products to Tennessee.
- Builders Insurance Group introduces Workers' Compensation insurance to Florida and South Carolina.
- General Liability insurance introduced in South Carolina.
- Builders Insurance Group reaches $100 million in annual written premium.
- Builders Insurance Group introduces General Liability insurance to Georgia's residential general and trade contractors.
- Builders Insurance Group begins offering Workers' Compensation to non-construction businesses in Georgia.
- Builders Insurance Group converts from a self-insurers fund to a mutual captive company.
- Builders Insurance Group serves more than 1,400 policyholders and writes $15 million in annual premium.
- Founded as a self-insurers fund and endorsed by the Home Builders Association of Georgia (HBAG).